2015 Year End Ranked Part 1

 Hey everyone Drake, known online as Urtar Reviews here and today we're doing another Year End Ranking for 2015. Rules same as last time. What are my thoughts on 2015 as a year. While I agree with the common consensus that it's a good year, I do think it's just slightly overrated in this community. Like yeah it's really good in my opinion, but there's better 2010s years if you ask me. 


Anyway let's get to it!

117. Take Your Time - Sam Hunt (0/10)

I don't think I've actually revealed this before on this blog as the one hit he has had in a year I've covered so far has been a song I actually don't mind, Leave The Night On, but Sam Hunt is one of my least favorite musicians ever. His 2nd album from 2020, Southside is the worst album I've heard from the 2020s so far, and while I haven't listened to his first album Montevallo (which this song comes from), I expect that I will hate it a lot given how it has this song and two singles that are around the same quality level if not worse (Break Up In A Small Town and Make You Miss Me). 

116. Ayo - Chris Brown, Tyga (0/10)

Chris Brown bragging about being an asshole and beating women yay!

115. Girl Crush - Little Big Town (0/10)

Oh god this one. Little Big Town outside of this are a good band from what I've heard, Little White Church is just as good as this song is bad, absolutely INSANE song, and Pontoon their biggest hit before this is pretty good. But oh boy do I hate this. Heck this song on a musical level goes against everything that I think works about the good Little Big Town songs I've heard like Little White Church. That song had fantastic harmonies switching between the women perfectly. This song barely even has harmonies and they aren't even good. That song had a pulse with a driving guitar groove. This song has no pulse with such stiff and watery guitar that sounds awful. The biggest issue with this song though is the queer baiting in a song about being jealous of your ex's new girl and wishing you were like her so he wouldn't have left you. Surely there was a way of writing this song that didn't queer bait, heck I could probably have done that without too much effort, but these guys chose to do it the way of disguising it as a gay song like Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl (which is a great song fight me, I'll explain why at a later date) when it's actually just about being jealous! Probably because they knew it would cause controversy with the right side audience and hopefully give them one of their biggest singles. And the worst thing, it worked. This song had controversy from country radio and the conservative audience and became their biggest hot 100 hit. 


114. Hey Mama - David Guetta, Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha (1/10)

I know a lot of people hate the lyrics from Nicki but I don't at all. The problem is that the production on this song is an absolute clusterfuck of a disaster. The fucking synths feel like an drill drilling into your ear and I hate it so much. 


113. I Bet My Life - Imagine Dragons (1/10)

This song is so much worse than anything on Night Visions it's comical. Shots should have been the hit instead. 


112. Renegades - X Ambassadors (1/10)

I will never understand people who shit on a lot of songs for sounding like commercials and then give this song a pass. Not only does it sound incredibly like a commercial but it was LITERALLY only made for a commercial for the Jeep Renegade. Like the band has literally said they wrote a song about Renegades because they were paid to make a song for a Jeep Renegade ad. My hate for it is not just that though I find it genuinely so annoying and soulless. 


111. Stitches - Shawn Mendes (1/10)

I'm not even the biggest fan of Something Big but it deserved being massive far more than this shit. I've never liked this song and I still hate it even removed from the overplay years later. 


110. All Eyes On You - Meek Mill, Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj (1/10)

Chris Brown creeping on girls over another beat that sounds like a drill drilling into your ear. Yay!


109. Only - Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, Drake (1/10)

I've seen some revisionism of this song lately, and I respect that but no I think this song is still shit. Everyone does incredibly poorly, with some absolutely shit punchlines and bars, and a fucking DRAINING beat from Dr. Puke. Listening to this song is a fucking chore espicially since for some reason it's over 5 minutes long. 

108. Honey I'm Good (1/10)

This incredibly chipper and annoying song is partly responsible for me not wanting to go into grocery stores often.


107. Jealous - Nick Jonas 

I think the common consensus is that this song sucks but Nick Jonas's solo career hits after it were a lot better and actually pretty good. While I agree on this one being shit, and his one hit with Tove Lo from 2016 Close being pretty good, I disagree cause I dont like Levels and as for Chains, well you'll see soon. 


106. Worth It - Fifth Harmony, Kid Ink (1/10)

This song is not bad because it's a "ripoff" of Talk Dirty like people say, heck they aren't even very similar outside of the sax. Heck I'm someone who really likes Talk Dirty. No this is bad because it sounds awful. 


105. Marvin Gaye - Charlie Puth, Meghan Trainor (2/10)

When I was in 7th grade in 2016 I think, my parents forced me to take ballroom dancing lessons (which I really didn't want to do) and the teacher was a big Meghan Trainor fab and played a lot of her songs during the classes. Dancing to some of her other songs like Dear Future Husband or Lips Are Movin was an okay time by dancing standards anyway but holy shit dancing to this shit is something I never want to do again ever. 


104. Flex (Ooh Ooh Ooh) - Rich Homie Quan (2/10)

This is a Young Thug song from hell. He'll no to this. I'll stick with Thugger. 


103. Hit The Quan - ILoveMemphis (2/10)

This guy should never get near a microphone ever again. 


102. The Hanging Tree - Jennifer Lawrence (2/10)

I've actually never seen Mockingjay the movie (I've read the book) but I don't need to see it to give the opinion that this song is just draining to listen to. 


101. El Perdon (2/10)

This is somehow Enrique Iglesias's most streamed song on Spotify at the time of writing? How? Also this was the first song to make a Billboard Year End list without hitting the top 40 just based on longevity from Billboard somehow allowing it to ignore recurrent rules. Something that has happened several times in recent years and that needs to stop. And it's just a shit song in general. 


100. Back To Back - Drake (3/10)

I get the appeal of this one but I'm sorry this beat sounds so watery and clunky and completely kills anything this song had going for me. 


99. Bad Blood (Remix) - Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar (3/10)

One of the only times you'll ever see me dislike a Taylor song. Although the original album version of this song is like a 7/10. It's a perfectly good pop song with good 80s synthpop production and good vocals. This remix takes that beat and replaces it with a much worse one and replaces the 2nd verse from Taylor that I liked with one of Kendrick's worst ever verses. 


98. Heartbeat Song - Kelly Clarkson (3/10)

Breakaway, Since U Been Gone, Behind These Hazel Eyes, Never Again this is not. This is the most bland song I've heard from her. At least Stronger had more of a punch. It's not a good song but it's better than this. 


97. Sangria - Blake Shelton (3/10)

I hate Blake Shelton. 


96. Chains - Nick Jonas (3/10)

I don't get it. 


95. Chandelier - Sia (3/10)

About 5 percent of the time this is randomly the hardest song ever. The other 95 percent of the time it's an audio disaster. 


94. Where Are U Now - Skrillex, Diplo, Justin Bieber (4/10)

I really like the verses and buildup to the chorus, the production then sounds amazing and fits Justin's reminiscening lyrics and he also sounds really good. But then the drop hits and all that is thrown out the window for a godawful drop. 


93. Lay Me Down - Sam Smith (4/10)

I really like Sam Smith these days, but I never liked this one and I still don't. It's just so boring. 


92. Photograph - Ed Sheeran (4/10)

I know some people will kill me for this take but the Nickelback song of the same name is football fields better than this slog. 


91. House Party - Sam Hunt (4/10)

Woah a Sam Hunt song that's actually listenable. That never happens. Is it good? No. But it is amazing by Sam Hunt standards. 


90 Same Old Love - Selena Gomez (4/10)

Selena Gomez had not only a very successful year in 2015 but also a very good one in my opinion with multiple fantastic singles, but yeah this isn't one of them. The verses had some potential but I find this chorus annoying so it kills anything it had going on for it. At least it's better than Hands To Myself though. 


89. I'm Comin' Over - Chris Young (5/10)

Wow this sure is a country song. 


88. Downtown - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, a bunch of artists (5/10)

The first two minutes about are worst list material the rest of it outside of Macklemore's 2nd verse that also sucks, is best list material so it evens out to a 5/10. 


87. Truffle Butter - Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lil Wayne (5/10)

Never really liked this one. It's okay but I never got the hype. 


86. Prayer In C (Remix) - Lily Wood And The Prick, Robin Schultz (5/10)

I don’t get it.  


85. Hello - Adele (5/10)

There was a time where I liked this but these days I just find it so sleepy and hard to sit through. I get why people like it but I'm not one of them these days. 


84. Hotline Bling - Drake (5/10)

For fun I went through and calculated every song that would have hit #1 in the 2010s in a universe where all #1 hits in this universe didn't exist. In that universe this is the longest running #1 hit of the decade with 16 weeks. I'm glad I have a fact like that to say because I don't really have anything to say about the song itself. 


83. Watch Me - Silento (5/10)

I get why people still hate this and shit on it and I used to but these days I just do not give a fuck. This song goes in one ear and out the other leaving no reaction from me. 


82. Again - Fetty Wap (5/10)

I like the other stuff I've heard from Fetty Wap from 2015 a lot but I don't really care for this one. I mean it has a good melodic hook and Fetty sounds good as usual but this beat is way too stiff, clunky and mixed too loudly and it kills it. 


81. 7/11 - Beyonce (6/10)

I don't even like this song that much but if I see one more person call this bad because it "rips off Vine dance trend songs like Watch Me and Hit The Quan" even though it was released before all the Vine hits of 2015 except CoCo and that one didn't gain attraction until after this charted, I swear...


80. Slow Motion - Trey Songz (6/10)

I don't even like this that much but it's such a breath of fresh air compared to his big hit from 2014. 


And that's a wrap on part 1! Urtar Reviews signing out. Thanks for reading! I'll see you next time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020