Throwback Breakdown: July 31, 2010

 Hey everyone, Drake, known online as Urtar Reviews here and today we're doing another episode of Throwback Breakdown!



The Top Ten: 

To start off we have an unfortunate new #1, Love The Way You Lie  by Eminem and Rihanna. It pushes back California Gurls by Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg to #2. Airplanes by B.o.B. and Hayley Williams holds stable at #3. Dynamite by Taio Cruz rises to #4, pushing back OMG by Usher and Will.i.am to #5. Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner gains to #6. It pushes past Billionaire by Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars down to #7. Finally, I Like It by Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull, Find Your Love by Drake, and Ridin' Solo by Jason Derulo all hold stable at #8, #9, and  #10 respectively


Significant Gains, Losses, etc:

To start our losses, Rock That Body by The Black Eyed Peas drops to 41. Water by Brad Paisley loses to 56. Over by Drake falls to 58. POWER by Kanye West plummets off its debut to 60. Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus underperforms down to 65. No Love by Eminem and Lil Wayne continues falling to 93. Wavin' Flag by K'Naan falls to 97. Eenie Meenie by Justin Bieber and Sean Kingston drops to 99. 


For notable dropouts, we have Rude Boy by Rihanna, Telephone by Lady Gaga and Beyonce, Whataya Want From Me by Adam Lambert, and My Chick Bad by Ludacris and Nicki Minaj all clenching 2010 Billboard Year End spots, and Gimmie That Girl by Joe Nichols, Shark In The Water by V V Brown, Neighbors Know My Name by Trey Songz, and Never Say Never by Justin Bieber and Jaden Smith all falling short. 


There were no returns this week. 


To start off our gains, Misery by Maroon 5 gains to 28. Jar Of Hearts by Christina Perri rises to 34. The Only Exception by Paramore gains to 36. Round & Round by Selena Gomez And The Scene rises to 39. Secrets by One Republic gains to 46. Magic by B.o.B. and Rivers Cuomo is cast up to 49. Pretty Boy Swag by Soulja Boy gains to 51. If I Die Young by The Band Perry rises off its debut to 80. Finally. Deuces by Chris Brown, Tyga and Kevin McCall unfortunately rises to 86. 


19. Dj Got Us Fallin' In Love - Usher, Pitbull

Do I think this song is a tad overrated in this community? Definitely. Do I stand by Pitbull being the best part of this song and if it didn't have him it would be good but a bit one note? Absolutely. Do I still think it's a great song? Absolutely. There's better club hits if you ask me, but this is still a really fun song that is saved from feeling one note by Pitbull. 

67. Come Back Song - Darius Rucker

Nothing I've heard from Darius Rucker's solo career outside of his phenomenal cover of Wagon Wheel has impressed me even slightly, and this is no different. It's fine but nothing special. The instrumental, vocals, and lyrics are all fine but again, nothing special. So basically this sure is a country song that sure does exist. 

71. Break My Bank - New Boyz, Iyaz

Ugh I have to talk about the New Boyz again. I just talked about them in my 2011 ranking with their ABYSMAl song Backseat. Anyway, this is their collab with Iyaz, and honestly this song has a lot to like, and absolutely shit mixing. Iyaz's hook is amazing, and the New Boyz are way better here than normal. Shame that all of this is drowned out by overly loud and grating synths. The song sends up bad and shame too cause it could have been great. 


74. La La La - Auburn, Iyaz

This reminds me a bit lyrically of the Naughty Boy song of the same name and that's a compliment. Musically it's different being a pop song by a woman and also Iyaz trying yet again to get a second hit. And it's really good. The production slaps, the amazing sample of the same song Ava Max would interpolate a decade later in My Head And My Heart, both artists sound great and I really like songs with that concept. Amazing stuff. 


90. Opposite Of Adults - Chiddy Bang

This is a solid rap track with a solid beat but nothing special and I don't really have more to say. 


91. Ordinary Girl - Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus)

So I've never watched Hannah Montana so to me this is just a Miley Cyrus song, and it's a solid one. It's similar to Glamorous by Fergie on a lyrical level (and that's a compliment since I adore that song) and similar to Big Girls Don't Cry also by Fergie on a musical level (which is also a compliment). Now it itsn't anywhere near as good as either Fergie song, it doesn't have the beautiful vocals and atmosphere of Glamorous or the relatability and perfect hook of Big Girls Don't Cry but it's still solid. 


94. Love All Over Me - Monica

This reminds me of I Remember by Keyshia Cole, which I like a lot, and this is also pretty good. I like the stuttering synths, Monica's really good vocals. Good song. 


98. Roll With It - Easton Corbin

The lyrics are nothing special at all, but I really like how this sounds. The really good instrumental with guitar and I think strings? and even maybe some organ? This instrumental sounds a lot like Cheap Seats by Emile Scott Robinson, one of my favorite songs of the decade so far. And I also like Easton's vocals. Good song. 


100. Mockingbird - Rob Thomas

Outside of giving me flashbacks to the godawful Eminem song of the same name, how is this? Well this is the 2nd best solo Rob Thomas song I've heard (behind Little Wonders that song is amazing and sadly seems to have been lost to time). This has a dark atmosphere to it that I wasn't expecting but I really fuck with. This is the closest I've heard from him to the intensity of his performance on Smooth by Santana since. Really good song. 


So that was this week! Worst Of The Week is going to Break My Bank by New Boyz and Iyaz, and no Dishonorable Mention cause nothing else was bad. Best Of The Week is going to La La La by Auburn and Iyaz, with a tie for Honorable Mention between Mockingbird by Rob Thomas, Roll With It by Easton Corbin and DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love by Usher and Pitbull. 


Thanks for reading. Urtar Reviews signing out! I'll see you next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2016