My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 1 (20-11)

 

20. All My Life - Lil Durk, J. Cole 

I'm kind of surprised this song stuck with me as much as it did as I have never been a fan of either artist, but damn I love the children's choir chorus, it just makes this song anthemic. I also love the message of not letting the people trying to keep you down do so. I'm so glad this was the big Lil Durk hit this year and not Stand By Me. 

19. Everything I Love - Morgan Wallen
This was a such a huge surprise. I have hated Morgan Wallen for years now and even some of his more beloved songs like Sand In My Boots I've hated. The only song of his I'd heard from him before this that I even somewhat liked was 7 Summers, and I don't even love that one (it's like a 7/10). But something about this one I liked a lot more than any of his other hits first listen, and it kept growing with every listen and now I can say I genuinely love this song. I hate to say that given what he did, but this is easily my favorite song of his. The guitar line on this song is so goddamn infectious and my god this is the best Morgan's drawl has ever sounded. The way he says "one more silver dollar" just brings me joy. Such a surprise, but a welcome one. 

18. Love You Anyway - Luke Combs
Gettin' Old by Luke Combs is my personal favorite album of 2023 that I've heard. It was the album that I needed the most this year. A beautiful, calming, but also with stellar grooves at points album about  growing up. In all honesty, Love You Anyway is one of the weaker tracks on it in my opinion. Which is saying something because it's still a fantastic song. I am a sucker for Luke Combs's voice at this point, and he just sells this love song out the roof. It honestly tops Forever After All in terms of his love songs with how well written it is and how in love he sounds. I also love the instrumentation with the beautiful strings and guitar line. It's one of his best ever love songs. The reason it's one of the weaker tracks on the album is because I have always found his love songs to be some of his weakest. Songs like Beautiful Crazy, One Number Away, Better Together and more have just never done it for me. And also just that album is absolutely STACKED with songs I adore. But this is a still a fantastic song and one of the best hits of the year. 

17. White Horse - Chris Stapleton 
I need to hear more from Chris Stapleton. Starting Over would likely top my 2021 best list if I were to redo it. And while I don't love this song as much as that one obviously, this is a fantastic country rock song. Chris just sounds incredible here, and that guitar line is incredible. Don't really have more to say. 

16. Dancin' In The Country - Tyler Hubbard
The better half of Florida Georgia Line made a bro country anthem in the vein of Country Girl (Shake It For Me). If you're surprised by this making my list at this point, either you're new to my lists, or you probably shouldn't be surprised anymore. This is just such a banger. The way he says "we can two step, put your boots on, we can do that" is just the kind of stuff I eat up. 

15. Is It Over Now? (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift
This may surprise people who know me but I still haven't listened to 1989 (Taylor's Version), but this was a great first impression of the vault tracks. It reminds me of Out Of The Woods from the original album, but better. By the way, I am not a big fan of Out Of The Woods, it's my least favorite song on the original album. And the reason for that is the awful sounding sound effect all over it that completely kills the song for me. This sounds like Out Of The Woods if it didn't have that, and that is something I frankly didn't know I wanted but am so glad to have now. Taylor sounds absolutely beautiful on this and the production is just as beautiful. 

14. Eyes Closed - Ed Sheeran 
This may well be the last year end hit Ed Sheeran ever has in the US. He has certainly expressed no more interest at being a pop star. And I've seen a lot of hate for this one, which I do not agree with. Is it one of his best songs? No, but I did get a lot of enjoyment from it and also it wasn't massively overplayed like a lot of his songs. This song is about the death of a friend, and as someone who has lost loved ones, I can definitely feel it. He sounds very empty inside which I consider to be a strength considering the subject matter. 

13. Bad Idea Right? - Olivia Rodrigo
This one took a while and many listens to finally click with me to be honest. The first several listens I thought it was only okay. I feel like I'm just that way with Olivia's rock songs as the same was true with Good 4 U. But this eventually did grow on me, even if I still don't love this one as much as a lot of my friends. The manic energy and chaos, hooks for days, her lyrics about knowing getting back with this guy is a horrible idea, but she can't resist. It's a banger I really grew to appreciate with more and more listens. Also, can we please make Get Him Back! a hit this year? It's so good. 

12. Until I Found You - Stephen Sanchez
This was technically eligible for my lists last year, but I am going to be doing the same thing I did with STAY last year, where because the song took until this year to click for me, and didn't make either list of mine last year, I am allowing it. Anyway, this song is just so charming. Stephen Sanchez is a fantastic singer and he puts his all into this song that just puts a smile to my face whenever I hear it. Also there's a great remix with Em Beihold that should have been credited on Billboard since it was literally more popular than the original but whatever. 

11. Cupid - FIFTY FIFTY
The Call Me Maybe of 2023. Beautiful sugar pop song that brought me a lot of joy throughout the year. I wish we got more music like this on the charts these days. Ava Max dropped one of the best albums this year full of catchy, beautiful, pop songs and y'all ignored it. What a shame.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020