My Top 15 Favorite Hit Songs of 2016 Part 1 (15-11)

 


15. Sorry - Beyonce (Peak #11, Billboard Year End: #71, Pulse Jan-Dec: #70, Crownnote: #76)

It still feels very weird and unrepresentative that Lemonade, one of the most acclaimed and biggest albums of 2016, only had one year end hit, and a modest one at that (Formation not having a better run being the best example of this). But anyway, the one we did get is a fantastic song. Beyonce just performs this song so well, because the song starts with her being confident and just conveying the image of her shaking this breakup off easily because she's Beyonce, later on in the song the image breaks and we see that it really does affect her. Also she just sounds amazing and the beat slaps. 

14. 24k Magic - Bruno Mars (Peak #4, Billboard Year End: N/A, Pulse Jan-Dec: #54,  Crownnote: #56)
This might be my favorite Bruno Mars hit where he's the lead artist. And I also consider this a better version of Uptown Funk (a song I never really liked that much to be honest). It's definitely cheesy, and has some REALLY stupid lines, but who gives a fuck? It's just an incredibly fun song. Not really much more to say. 

13. Roses - The Chainsmokers, ROZES (Peak #6, Billboard Year End: #27, Pulse Jan-Dec: #35, Crownnote: #35)
The Chainsmokers had a huge year in 2016, and this was the song that started that off. And as much hate as they get in this community, I've considered myself a defender of them for years now. In fact at one point I would even have called myself a fan of them (they've cooled on me a fair amount since then). I love all three big hits they had in 2016 (Don't Let Me Down was the last cut from the list btw). But I at least feel like this one does get a bit more praise than their other big hits, and yeah it's amazing. I just love what they did with the drop by just making it constantly evolve and change throughout. It's just beautiful. And also ROZES' singing is beautiful. 

12. This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris, Rihanna (Peak #3, Billboard Year End: #17, Pulse Jan-Dec: #13, Crownnote: #13)
The tropical house trend of 2016 was mostly good in my opinion, and I actually have a lot of nostalgia for it. And this is one of the best songs of that genre to become big in 2016. Rihanna sounds absolutely angelic on this song. And the production is incredible as well. I know that this might sound a bit hypocritical of me to have bashed Gold by Kiiara for sounding like a repetitive loop when this song only has one verse and the rest is prechorus-chorus-prechorus-chorus, but this song is infinitely more engaging than that song was so I actually don't mind that much, and the song is a banger. Also I am legally obligated to mention the fact this song was written by Taylor Swift. 

11. Closer - The Chainsmokers, Halsey (Peak #1, Billboard Year End: #10, Pulse Jan-Dec: #2, Crownnote: #2)
Oh boy this one. This song gets a lot of shit in this community and, well, I've always loved it. I've always liked Drew Taggart as a vocalist more than most, he has this weird charm to his voice that I like, although he is outshined by Halsey on this song who just sounds amazing. This song just feels warm in a way I have a hard time explaining, just two people in love getting back together after not seeing each other in years. And I also love the bubbly production during the verses. And this has a lot of nostalgia for me now too, so many good memories of hearing this song back in 2016-17 that this was assuredly gonna make the list. The only reason it isn't higher is the mediocre drop, but I still love this song. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020