My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2007

Hey everyone, Drake known online as Urtar Reviews here, and today we shift to a decade of music I haven't done lists for yet, the 2000s, with a look at my least favorite hit songs of 2007. What do I think of the year overall? Well, this is one of the best year end lists I have ever listened through. I'll discuss this more on the best list, but the year had not only a large amount of songs I like to love but also some of the best hits I have heard from the 2000s decade. That said, there was some bad music, so we're gonna discuss it today. As usual songs are eligible if they made either Year End list I use and didnt make the Jan-Dec YE for 2006: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7pXWK5YD8vluRkPxWYc56m?si=U5csPwgBT2Ws9fZzovH5SQ&utm_source=copy-link

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5SxIaXbSLpettV4mWu2xQ4?si=9OE9ccnJTY2WEucdGH-6mw&utm_source=copy-link

Finally remember this is all my opinion and you are free to disagree because music is subjective. 

10. 
Well this placement is gonna get some hate so I just wanna say before this entry that I do like this band generally, their other big singles from this time are great and I even like some of their newer hits, but...

10. This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race - Fall Out Boy (Peak #2, Billboard Year End: #32, Jan-Dec Year End: #29)




I never liked this song at all. Now to be clear the lyrics aren't a problem. I don't think they're great but they're not bad at all. No my problem is how this song sounds. I really hate the stiff bass line throughout the song, how it sounds like it's tripping over itself. And the whole stuttering vocal thing Patrick Stump does in the chorus annoys the shit out of me. Every melody here is so annoying and I just cannot get any enjoyment out of this song. 

9. 
Bedsprings, my favorite...
9. The Way I Live - Baby Boy Da Prince, Boosie Badazz (Peak: #21, Billboard Year End: #53, Jan-Dec Year End: #56)
This is a very bad rap song but also a very forgettable one, at least for me. Like outside of the fucking awful bedsprings that are so goddamn annoying, there is nothing interesting about this song. It just drones on and on for 5 and a half minutes for some reason. This song may just be more than 5 minutes but it feels like a fucking hour. This song just leaves such little impact on me when I listen, outside of those bedsprings, and maybe if this song was only 3 minutes it wouldn't make this list but listening to this for 5 and a half minutes straight is unbearable. 

8. 
I've never been the biggest Beyonce fan. I mean sure she's got her classics, including one you'll see on my best list, and I generally like her music, but she's also made some songs I dislike or even hate, and I wouldn't call myself a fan. But at least I like her more than another R&B artist from the 2000s who is sometimes called a ripoff of her (even if I think that argument is stupid) Heck, she made a song in 2006 that became a hit in 2007 that Beyonce would make a similar song to a few years later. But at least she made that song good...

8. Like A Boy - Ciara (Peak #19, Billboard Year End: #68, Jan-Dec Year End: #66)
This song gets a lot of hate in this community for it's lyrics about wishing she could act like a boy. And I just want to say that I have no problem with them at all. I mean as I said, I like If I Were A Boy by Beyonce. My problem with this song is entirely about how it sounds. I fucking hate the stiff, Timbaland reject sounding beat. And the pitch-shifted vocals in the chorus drive my ears crazy. Ciara isn't a bad vocalist but this beat is so bad it could make a good singer stumble, and again the goddamn pitch shifting! 

7.
I'm not a big R&B fan, as I have said before. While there is some R&B that I do listen to sometimes, most R&B even the stuff I enjoy when I hear it, I rarely go back to it. But again, there is some I enjoy. Which is more than I can say for this...

7. Get It Shawty - Lloyd (Peak #16, Billboard Year End: #51, Jan-Dec Year End: #55)

I'm already not a big fan of R&B, but this is really bad for the genre.  This song just sounds slimy, like it's a slippery eel going through your ears. Lloyd's slimy, grainy voice is so irritating. What's weird is his other big hit from 2007, You with Lil Wayne is actually solid, and he sounds fine on it, and he sounds amazing on Young Money's BedRock, but he just sounds unbearable here. The beat is a bit stiff too, but not unbearable. The real issue is his vocals. 


6. Kiss Kiss - Chris Brown, T-Pain (Peak #1, Billboard Year End: #93, Jan-Dec Year End: #38) 

The only tolerable part of this song is the beginning with T-Pain pretending to be a radio DJ. The rest is unbearable, if a bit funny at some points. Chris Brown asking why people hate on his anatomy because it's birdlike gets a laugh out of me every time. But the fucking autotune on his voice is so poorly mixed and just sounds unbearable. I normally like T-Pain, especially compared to Chris Breezy, but he doesn't fare well here either. The beat is actually fine here, not that I can hear it very well because of the awful autotuned vocals overpowering the mix. 


5. 
2007 had a lot of bad rock music. This Ain't A Scene It's An Arms Race was only the tip of the iceberg of rock songs I hate on this year end list. Like for instance...

5. First Time - Lifehouse (Peak #26, Billboard Year End: #86, Jan-Dec Year End: #80) 
I hate Lifehouse based on what I've heard from them. Hanging By A Moment and You And Me are fucking awful. And this might be even worse than both. Now I don't mind the guitar line or the lyrics both are fine. The problem is once again the singer's voice. I cannot stand his fucking voice. How fucking gravelly he sounds. He's also over singing and sounds godawful. This song has been far more forgotten than their other big songs and for good reason even though I also hate those other songs. 

4. 
2007, among other things, was a big year for ringtone rap. Rap songs getting popular off of being used as ringtones, sometimes from a meme or dance challenge...
4. Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Soulja Boy (Peak #1, Billboard Year End: #20, Jan-Dec Year End: #10) 
One of the most widely hated songs of this year by this community.
And it's a song I actually like. It's fun, has the benefit of nostalgia and has strong melodies. No my real #4 is...

4. Pop Lock & Drop It - Huey (Peak #6, Billboard Year End: #34, Jan-Dec Year End: #31) 

This deserves more hate than Crank That if you ask me although it being less hated does make some sense since it wasn't as big as Crank That. But also this isn't fun, doesn't have nostalgia, has weak melodies. But the real issue is that this song has absolutely atrocious mixing. This is probably one of the worst mixed hit songs of the entire 2000s. So fucking stiff and sludgy. Like I can barely hear the melodies and vocals because of how shit the mixing is. 

3. 
Have you ever had a song where you have positive nostalgia for it, but you also genuinely hate listening to it?...

3. Beautiful Girls - Sean Kingston (Peak #1, Billboard Year End: #31, Jan-Dec Year End: #27)

I remember hearing this song a lot when I was very young (I turned 4 in 2007). It's hard to explain, but on one hand I have positive nostalgia with it, but also genuinely hate listening to it on the other. I hate Sean Kingston's voice on this song so much. He sounds so goddamn annoying. The beat ain't bad, but the lyrics sure are. These lyrics about a beautiful girl leaving you causing you to be suicidal do not fit well with how upbeat and cheerful the song sounds. 

2.
More very bad rock. And from a band I often defend that gets a lot of shit. But yeah you will hear me shit on this band for once. So enjoy it while it lasts. Because this doesn't happen often. 

2. If Everyone Cared - Nickelback (Peak #17, Billboard Year End: #50, Jan-Dec Year End: #51)

I enjoy a fair amount of Nickelback songs, from How You Remind Me to Photograph to Savin' Me, but there are also some I don't like. And then there's this fucking thing that is easily their worst song I have heard. "If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody died, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, would we see the day when nobody died" This is the type of fake deep shit you would find on an AJR album. Ah yes if everyone was nice to each other, heart disease, cancer, old age and everything would stop taking lives. DEFINITELY. This feels like Nickelback trying to expand their audience to soccer moms (even if there are some soccer moms who like songs like How You Remind Me) by making a song for them. Also this sounds fucking abysmal. I normally have a soft spot for Chad Kroeger's voice, but he sounds so bad here and the instrumental is bottom tier post grunge, so sludgy and stiff. So what is worse than this? Well before you find out, some Dishonorable Mentions. 

DM. On The Hotline - Pretty Ricky
 This is just a bad rap/R&B song that I have nothing to say about. 

DM. Here (In Your Arms) - Hellogoodbye 
What even is this shit. I don't know what it was trying to be but it failed. 

DM. The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls

I don't like this band, and this song is no different. 

DM. Bed - J. Holiday 
I don't know what a J. Holiday is, but this is a very bad R&B song with more fucking bedsprings, but at least this one has the decency to be almost a minute shorter than The Way I Live. 

DM. It Ends Tonight - The All American Rejects 

I also don't like this band, outside of Move Along that is. And this is the worst of their big hits. 

DM. I'm A Flirt (Remix) - R. Kelly, T. I., T-Pain

I don't want to listen to R. Kelly singing about being a flirt. 

DM. Lost Without U - Robin Thicke

I don't want to listen to a sex song by the man who would go on to make Blurred Lines. 

DM. It's Not Over - Daughtry
Home is fine, but I generally dislike Daughtry and this is some more bad rock. At least they made Feels Like Tonight the year after, which is great.

1.
This artist will likely also take the #1 spot on my eventual worst of 2006 list. With a song I somehow hate even more than this one. This is still one of the worst rock songs I have ever heard though...





1. Better Than Me - Hinder (Peak #31, Billboard Year End: #98, Jan-Dec Year End: #90) 

I have only heard two songs by Hinder, this one and Lips Of An Angel, their big hit from 2006 that also carried over into this year (and is the worst song on this Year End list if I were to count carryovers). Both of those two songs are some of the worst I have ever heard in any genre. "I'll really miss your hair in my face. And the way your innocence tastes" These sound like lines from a horror movie villain not a fucking song about how hurt you are by a breakup. Oh and of course the line about the memory he doesn't want to lose, them fucking in a dressing room. Also the lyrics are conflicted about what they want to be. Some of it is about how he's worthless and she deserves better than him, and some is about how much he'll miss her and he wants her to come back. Pick one topic please? And the singer delivers one of the worst vocal performances I have ever heard, he sounds like a fucking monster on this. His high notes on this make my ears want to die. Better Than Me by Hinder. My pick for the worst hit song of 2007!

Thanks for reading! Best list will hopefully be out soon. And maybe the Grab Bag. Urtar Reviews signing off. I'll see you next time!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020