2015 Year End Ranked Part 3

 37. Lean On - Major Lazer, DJ Snake, MO (9/10)

The whole song is really good but that chopped up vocal segment in the bridge is amazing.


36. Take Me To Church - Hozier (9/10)

I get why some people hate the lyrics that use religious metaphors for sex, but like I'm not gonna act like I care about them. I just love the bombastic and powerful vocals from Hozier and the great instrumental. 

35. Riptide - Vance Joy (9/10)

This song reminds me of my best friend from middle school because the first time I ever heard it was on the radio in his car when we went to a pizza place on a birthday sleepover or something. So yeah it has that beautiful middle school nostalgia but I also just really like it as a song. I get why some might hate it but I really like it. 


34. Budapest - George Ezra (9/10)

This one also has middle school nostalgia because my choir class (my school required four years of choir) sang it one year. But I also just love the instrumentation and Ezra sells the lyrics about being willing to give up his riches for her love well. 


33. You Know You Like It (Remix) - DJ Snake, Aluna George

The original song by Aluna George is actually garbage and this remix is so so much better. It makes the beat actually punch, adds the iconic, top tier drop, and adds suspense that the original song was missing. 


32. Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran (9/10)

Yeah to be honest this is my favorite of the year end hits from Multiply (X). It's just a really adorable love song that not only has a great instrumental and a passionate performance from Ed but he sells his love for this girl incredibly well and this song feels very genuine and easy for me to enjoy a lot. 


31. Love Me Harder - Ariana Grande, The Weeknd (9/10)

I disagree with the consensus of this being her best song on this year end list and it's also cooled on me some, but this is still a great duet that deserves the praise it gets in my opinion. 


30. Confident - Demi Lovato (9/10)

I remember hearing this a lot back in the day, the fuck you mean this didn't hit the top 20 and got caught between Billboard chart years? Well anyway just a really great pop rock banger. 


29. Animals - Maroon 5 (9/10)

"Here we go again, I kinda want to be more than friends

So take it easy on me, I'm afraid you're never satisfied

Here we go again, we're sick like animals, we play pretend

You're just a cannibal and I'm afraid I won't get out alive

No, I won't sleep tonight

Oh, oh, I want some more

Oh, oh, what are you waiting for?

Take a bite of my heart tonight

Oh, oh, I want some more

Oh, oh, what are you waiting for?

What are you waiting for?

Say goodbye to my heart tonight"


28. Uma Thurman - Fall Out Boy (9/10)

That fucking sample! Never have I heard a rock song ride a sample like this one.  I mean, I haven't even heard very many rock songs with samples in general, but still. 


27. Time Of Our Lives - Pitbull, Ne-Yo (9/10)

Give Me Everything 2.0 but a bit worse this time. But a bit worse than a 10/10 song is still a pretty great song. 


26. Cool For The Summer - Demi Lovato (9/10)

Ended Flop Crush. Okay but for real this is just a fantastic pop song. 


25. Shut Up And Dance - Walk The Moon (9/10)

This song is fantastic as long as I don't hear it all the time. Hearing it once or twice every now and then is a great experience, hearing this fifteen times a day is not. Luckily I don't hear it on the radio that often anymore and I'm not playing it in music class this year so I can be back to liking it a lot. 

24. Good For You - Selena Gomez, A$AP Rocky (9/10)

As I've mentioned I think Selena Gomez had a really good year in 2015 and this is the 2nd to last example of that. I love the deep watery production that feels like you could swim in it, Selena's vocals fit it perfectly and then Rocky comes in and fits it even better. And I also love the content, both being devoted to being the best for each other they can. Fantastic pop song that deserves more praise than it gets in this community if you ask me. 


23. I'm Not The Only One - Sam Smith (9/10)

I've always preferred this song to Stay With Me. The great piano riff, Sam's vocals even more powerful here, the powerful hook, and the well written lyrics about realizing their lover is cheating on them. 


22. Heroes (We Could Be) - Alesso, Tove Lo (9/10)

This and Beautiful Now by Zedd and Jon Bellion are together in the category of fantastic EDM songs that I remember hearing a lot that ended up not making Billboard Year End lists. Oh btw Beautiful Now would be even higher if it was in the ranking. 

21. Shake It Off (9/10)

Still a mid tier song on the album, still a banger. 


20. Night Changes - One Direction (9/10)

I disagree with the consensus in this community of this being their best hit, but I get why people think that because this is fantastic. Such a warm comfortable song that also has fantastic harmonies between the group members. 


19. Wildest Dreams - Taylor Swift (9/10)

I love how there's a song on the 2015 Year End that was recorded using the artist's actual heartbeat and it isn't the one literally called Heartbeat Song. But anyway just a fantastic late album single with a fantastic vocal performance, great lyrics, and beautiful production. 


18. Lips Are Movin - Meghan Trainor (9/10)

Such a banger. That's all I really have to say. 


17. Sugar - Maroon 5 (9/10)

I'll defend a lot more modern Maroon 5 songs than most of this community and this is another example of that. The funk guitar that has a great groove, the fantastic hook, it's just a fantastic pop song. 


16. She Knows - Ne-Yo, Juicy J (9/10)

La La La by Naughty Boy and Sam Smith is one of my favorite hit songs of the 2010s, do you really expect me to hate a song just for a baby sound. Like I'll admit it put me off the first few times I heard this song, but I got used to it real quick and it doesn't bother me at all now and the rest of it is fantastic. The beat slaps hard, Ne-Yo sounds amazing, the hook is so good, and Juicy J's verse is also great.  


15. See You Again - Wiz Khalifa, Charlie Puth (9/10)

A fantastic and touching tribute to the late Paul Walker that is also a fantastic song in its own right. The hook from Charlie Puth is not only incredibly iconic but also fantastic. I love the piano that evolves into a rap beat and back into a piano line for the hook again. And I love Wiz's parts a lot too. Heck I've heard a version of this song without him on the radio and it's not the same. The line "how can we not talk about family, when family's all that we got" just warms my heart every time. 


14. FourFiveSeconds - Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney (9/10)

Just a fantastic song that fuses pop, rap and folk together seamlessly and captures the feeling of just being tired of your daily life and finding company to discuss that with. Espicially when Kanye says "if I go to jail tonight, promise you'll pay my bail", the way he sings it causes if to just hit for me every time. 


13. Dear Future Husband - Meghan Trainor (9/10)

When you realize this song is satire to make fun of men who act this way towards women and show how absurd that is, it becomes much much easier to like, or at least it did for me. Plus it just slaps. 


12. Want To Want Me - Jason Derulo (9/10)

Just a fantastic pop song I don't have much to say about. 


11. Ghost - Ella Henderson (9/10)

Just missed out on the top 10 but damn did it put up a fight. Ella's vocals are so powerful here and combined with the instrumental give this song a lot of punch. Lyrically it's about trying to get over a breakup and it works very well. Fantastic song. 


And now for the top 10!


10. 679 - Fetty Wap, Remy Boyz (9/10)

I got the soda. 


9. Kick The Dust Up - Luke Bryan (9/10)

And my praising of bro country continues with the ever maligned in this community Kick The Dust Up, a song I unironically adore. The instrumental is dark, grimy, and punchy in the best way that conveys a darker side of a country party in a fantastic way. Also the "knock knock knock goes the diesel" part is just such a great moment. I get why people don't like this but it's such a banger for me. 

8. Talking Body - Tove Lo (9/10)

Queen Of The Clouds by Tove Lo is a great album and this is a fantastic pop song, one of the best pop hits of 2015. Fantastic hook, production, and lyrics. What else can I say it's just a fantastic pop song. 


7. Style - Taylor Swift (10/10)

It's Style by Taylor Swift. Do I need to say more? Like I could gush about how this is an absolute pop masterpiece and phenomenal song for a while, but I don't really think I need to. 


6. Habits (Stay High) - Tove Lo (10/10)

Said it all on my 2014 list and it still hits just as hard. 


5. Blank Space - Taylor Swift (10/10)

Still think this is a better song than Style and just a perfect pop song that sarcastically plays into the rumors about her incredibly well showing how absurd they are. 


4. One Last Time - Ariana Grande (10/10)

This is the best song I've heard from Ariana easily, it's her Back To December if you will. Her apologizing to her boyfriend who's leaving, admitting she did wrong, and just wishing for one last time to take home. She knows she doesn't deserve it but she still wants that. And her performance of these lyrics is absolutely stellar and the melancholic but also stunningly beautiful production really helps. 


3. Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding (10/10)

Absolutely transcendent listening experience on a musical level I don't get the hate for this outside of it being from Fifty Shades (a movie I never have and probably never will see). I guess I see why someone would find these lyrics a bit cringe, but to me they fit the atmosphere of the song perfectly to add to the transcendent experience. Better than Lights if you ask me (that song's also a 10 though).


2. Trap Queen - Fetty Wap (10/10)

This was one of the songs that slowly and steadily caused me to convert from someone who used the term "mumble rap" to someone who enjoys a fair amount of trap music. The fucking exceptional beat, Fetty Wap's magical vocals, the quotable lines about all the stuff Fetty's doing for his trap queen. One of my most streamed songs ever on Spotify and for good reason. 



1. The Heart Wants What It Wants - Selena Gomez (10/10)

A month or two back this would not have topped this ranking. It probably wouldn't have even made the top 5. It would have made the top 20 or even possibly top 10. but this song randomly started hitting incredibly hard for me around a month ago. It's the biggest example I've heard of Selena's strength, that being that she can use the limited vocal range she has very effectively. Yes she has a limited vocal range, but she can express a lot of emotion and sound amazing using the range she does have. In songs I don't like from her like Same Old Love or Hands To Myself, she doesn't do this and so I'm not a big fan, but when she does like on this song or Good For You, I get on board. Combine that with an absolutely gorgeous instrumental that fits the atmosphere and Selena's performance perfectly and you have a transcendent listening experience. Especially with the magical sounding bridge that is the absolute best moment of pop music 2015 if you ask me. Lyrically this song is about her relationship with Justin Bieber, how she knows that she shouldn't miss him after they broke up cause he was bad to her and she shouldn't want him back, but she can't help it, she misses him. Selena performs this song like it means the world to her, expressing every single emotion perfectly. And damn this song just hits for me. As someone who has several bad habits that I just can't help, every line just hits. Selena let us all into her world with this song and conveyed her emotions absolutely perfectly, and in addition this song hits hard for me. The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez. The Best Hit Song of 2015!


Urtar Reviews signing out! Thanks for reading! I'll see you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020