Throwback Breakdown: June 19, 2010

 Hey everyone, Drake, known online as Urtar Reviews here and today we are doing something I haven't done in about a month, Throwback Breakdown!


The Top Ten:

To start our top 10, we have a new #1, California Gurls by Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg. It pushes back OMG by Usher and Will.i.am to #2. Airplanes by B.o.B and Hayley Williams, and Your Love Is My Drug by Kesha hold stable at #3 and #4 respectively. Next we have a new arrival to the top 10, Billionaire by Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars at #5. It pushes back Break Your Heart by Taio Cruz and Ludacris to #6, Alejandro by Lady Gaga to #7, and Nothin' On You by B.o.B. and Bruno Mars to #8. Next we have another new arrival to the top 10 with Rock Your Body by The Black Eyed Peas at #9. Finally, Bulletproof by La Roux loses to #10. 


Significant Gains, Losses, Returns and Dropouts:

To start off our losses, Winner by Jamie Foxx, T.I. and Justin Timberlake drops to 56. Beautiful Day by Lee DeWyze plummets to 72. Beamer, Benz, Or Bentley by Lloyd Banks and Juelz Santana loses to 74. Keep On Lovin' You by Steel Magnolia drops to 89. Finally, Roger That by Young Money loses to 99. 


For dropouts, notable ones include: Say Aah by Trey Songz and Fabolous, All The Right Moves by One Republic, Carry Out by Timbaland and Justin Timberlake, and American Honey by Lady Antebellum all clenching Billboard Year End spots, where Ain't Back Yet by Kenny Chesney, Not Myself Tonight by Christina Augilera, and UNFORTUNATELY, my favorite Zac Brown Band song, Highway 20 Ride, all fall short. 


For returns, I'm In by Keith Urban comes back at 91, Glitter In The Air by P!nk returns at 92, and Hold You (Hold Yuh) by Gyptian comes back at 98. 


To start off our gains, Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner breaks the top 20 at 19. Ridin' Solo by Jason Derulo climbs to 34. Somebody To Love by Justin Bieber and Usher rises to 54. I Like It by Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull climbs to 55. Love Like Crazy by Lee Brice gains to 64. You And Your Heart by Jack Johnson gains big to 65. Free by Zac Brown Band gets a welcome gain to make up for their other single dropping out, to 66. Teach Me How To Dougie by Cali Swag District gains to 81. Finally, Sex Room by Ludacris and Trey Songz climbs to 85. 


15. Miss Me - Drake, Lil Wayne

Drake and Lil Wayne deliver some pretty great verses on this song with some very quotable bars and they sound great, but unfortunately the production absolutely kills it for me. It's way too clunky and just sounds awful. So yeah, with better production I probably would like this but as is, it's just kinda okay. 


26. Dynamite - Taio Cruz

Taio Cruz had two charting songs this week to follow up Break Your Heart, and this is the one that stuck around and became an even bigger hit than Break Your Heart, despite never hitting number one like that song did. And if I were to remake my 2010 best list now,  I would have given this song an Honorable Mention, because I love it. I didn't give it one because I was sick of it at the time, but that wore off, and I now love it again. The production from (sigh) Dr. Luke is incredible, and this song is just so much fun and such a club banger. That's all I really have to say. 


38. Got Your Back - T.I, Keri Hilson

As someone who is not a fan of either artist, I really liked this song. T.I. delivers some good bars and sounds better than usual for him, and Keri Hilson also sounds great delivering a fantastic hook! And I really like the lyrics of them talking about how much they love each other and they always have each other's back. So yeah really good song. 


44. Yeah Ya Know - T. I. 

Another T. I. song and I also really like this one. The production is epic and goes hard, and T. I. delivers some real good bars. This song is menacing and atmospheric in the best way. Great song!


51. Your Love - Nicki Minaj

I gave this song a Dishonorable Mention on my 2010 worst list and I don't really stand by that. I stand by my opinion that it would be so good if it had been finished because while the vocals and lyrics are really good, the production is so sloppy and terrible that it keeps it just at mediocre. 


75. Deja Vu - 3OH!3 

This reminds me a bit of Don't Trust Me, this group's first big hit from 2009, a song I thoroughly despise. Thankfully, this is better than that song, but I'm not a fan either. The mixing really hasn't aged well and just sounds pretty bad, and while the members have personality they also just come off annoying to me, so yeah I don't like this. 


83. Pretty Good At Drinkin' Beer - Billy Currington

The title feels like someone went to "Random Country Song Title Generator.com" but I actually kinda like this. The lyrics are forgettable country cliches sure, but I like Billy Currington's voice and the instrumental is fine enough. I wouldn't call this good exactly, and I would never seek it out, but I'll take it. 

94. Little White Church - Little Big Town

Ah yes the group known for Girl Crush, which is a song that I hate to this day. But outside of that song I like everything I've heard from them, and this song is no different. The women have great harmonies and I really like the instrumental has a really catchy groove that goes pretty hard. This song reminds me of Black Horse And The Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall, and that's a compliment. 

96. Dirty Picture - Taio Cruz, Kesha

This sounds like a Black Eyed Peas song from 2009-2010 with Taio Cruz sounding a lot like Will.i.am and Kesha sounding like Fergie. And if it were a Black Eyed Peas single from The E.N.D. it would be above Imma Be and maybe Rock That Body but below I Gotta Feeling, Boom Boom Pow and Meet Me Halfway, as this is just kinda mediocre. The beat is mediocre, Taio Cruz fails to do a Will.i.am impression, and while Kesha's Fergie impression is better, she still doesn't save this from being mediocre. 


97. Shark In The Water - V V Brown

I really like this. The production is bombastic and really good, V V Brown has a good voice, the hook is good, and I like the lyrics about anxiety while being stalked by one of her exes. 


100. Animal - Neon Trees

Ah yes the big breakout hit of the band Neon Trees who I have praised time after time on this blog, and while I do really like this song, it has cooled on me over the years. There was a time where this would have easily made my top 10 best hits of 2010, but now it wouldn't. Still a really fun, wild indie rock banger, but this band have much better songs, and as far as singles from their debut album go I would have preferred the much stronger 1983 take off, which is the best song on their debut in my opinion. 


So that was this week! Best Of The Week is going to Little White Church by Little Big Town, and I'm gonna do a three way tie for Honorable Mention between Animal by Neon Trees, Shark In The Water by V V Brown, and Yeah Ya Know by T. I. Worst Of The Week is going to Deja Vu by 3OH!3 and Dishonorable Mention to Dirty Picture by Taio Cruz and Kesha by default. 


Thanks for reading! Urtar Reviews signing out! I'll see you next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020