2013 Best List Honorable Mentions

HM. Bugatti - Ace Hood, Future, Rick Ross
Banger. Oh and speaking of Future and Rick Ross. 

HM. U.O.E.N.O - Rocko, Future, Rick Ross
Yep this is also getting an Honorable Mention because as I said, outside of the one line, this song is just a really fun banger. 

HM. Troublemaker - Olly Murs, Flo Rida
Just a really fun pop banger, with this Olly Murs guy doing a great job, and then Flo Rida just absolutely killing it in his part. 
HM. 23 - Mike Will Made It, Miley Cyrus, Wiz Khalifa, Juicy J
Do I get why people hate this song? Yes. But I also love it. It just slaps hard. Mike Will Made It's beats are just something else man. 

HM. Pour It Up - Rihanna
Another hot take, but I really like Pour It Up, one of Rihanna's most universally hated hits in this community. Mike Will Made It's beats are just something else man [2]. 

HM. Crash My Party - Luke Bryan
I think at this point I am incapable of not liking Luke Bryan songs. While not one of my absolute favorites from the album Crash My Party, it's still a really fun song that's stupid sure, but like with all Luke Bryan songs, that's the charm for me. 


HM. The Fox (What Does The Fox Say) - Ylvis
Best song of all time. No but seriously this is unironically a nostalgic banger for me that I still love. 

HM. Let Her Go - Passenger
Yes he sounds like Elmo but like I still really like this song. The lyrics are a lot better than people make them out to be, at least if you ask me, and his voice really fits these melodies. Also this song is very nostalgic for me. 

HM. I Need Your Love - Calvin Harris, Ellie Goulding
I don't really understand why people dislike this one, and I also happen to enjoy it a lot

HM. Love Somebody - Maroon 5
Fun fact about me: I own a CD copy of Overexposed. And while the album has cooled on me since I bought it, it's still a good album and this is my favorite of the singles from it (not my favorite song on it period, that's Doin' Dirt a song that really should have been a single because it's AWESOME). 

HM. Fuckin' Problems - A$AP Rocky, Drake, 2 Chainz, Kendrick Lamar
Shoutout to my online friend KalameetGascoigne, who is a massive A$AP Rocky fan. He has a RYM profile and you should check him out, he does lists like this. https://rateyourmusic.com/~KalameetGascoigne 

Anyway this song is just a massive banger and one of the final cuts from the top 20. 


HM. Power Trip - J. Cole, Miguel
I don't like J. Cole very much but he made one song I enjoyed a lot with Miguel back in 2013, although Miguel is the main reason I enjoy it. 


HM. Same Love - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Mary Lambert
This is a song I resepct more than I love, but if I was making this list based on how much I respect the songs rather than my actual opinions, this would top it easily. It's the kind of song that I can't really describe the power of in a short Honorable Mention so go listen to the song yourself if you want to experience it. Oh and btw this is the only Macklemore song that had a decent shot of making the list proper. 

HM. My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up) - Fall Out Boy
It's so weird that I like this song a lot given I usually hate these type of rock/metal songs with loud/crazy vocals, but for whatever reason this song works well for me and I really enjoy it. 

HM. Love Me - Lil Wayne, Drake, Future
I mean I get why people don't like this song, but I love it. Yes I get why people find the lyrics unsettling and disgusting but this song has so many quotable iconic lines and everyone EATS this beat. Mike Will Made It's beats are just something else man [3]. Also I would like to use this opportunity to post a video I posted on YouTube, an unscripted, unedited discussion of morals in music. 



HM. Daylight - Maroon 5
Maroon 5 are good actually if you ask me, and while not as great as Love Somebody or some of the other best moments on Overexposed, I still really enjoy this song. 

HM. The Way - Ariana Grande, Mac Miller
It's kinda funny that Mac Miller and Ariana Grande got their first Year End hits with the same song but anyway this is just a really great pop song. 

HM. Treasure - Bruno Mars
I bet a lot of you were expecting When I Was Your Man, his other, bigger, eligible song for this list to make the list, a mature piano ballad. But while I respect the lyrics that song doesn't really do much for me musically and just kind of bores me. This one on the other hand is a really fun jam. 

HM. I Love It - Icona Pop, Charli XCX
This song is so crazy and I love i... dies. 

HM. Sail - AWOLNATION
This is one of the most fascinating hits of the 2010s. It was originally released in 2011 had a 20 week long chart run low on the hot 100 in late 2011-early 2012, then returned in early 2013 for some reason and had a massive chart run making the 2013 Year End high and even having longevity into 2014 being pretty close to making the 2014 Billboard Year End as well. It also has like the third most weeks of any charting song on the hot 100.  And it's a crazy song about a man's depression that sounds like it's from another world. I love it. 

HM. Hold On We're Going Home - Drake, Majid Jordan
Just a banger.  

HM. Suit And Tie - Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z
Just a very smooth, groovy song that would have been pretty close to the list if not for Jay-Z who doesn't really fit in my opinion. Still really good tho. 

HM. Get Lucky - Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams
I bet a lot of people were shocked that this didn't make my top 20, but yeah this year had tough competition and I've never loved this song as much as most even though it's still a really fun, groovy throwback pop song. 

HM. Stay - Rihanna, Mikky Ekko

Just a really beautiful well written ballad from Rihanna, and it would have been close to making the list if not for Mikky Ekko bringing it down a bit. 

HM. Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus
NOSTALGIA!

HM. Cruise (Remix) - Florida Georgia Line
Did you really expect me not to mention this given how much I've defended bro country on this blog. I stand by the original song being pretty bad, but this remix improves it so much, and also it ended racism, until very recently when it came back and so they needed to collab again to get rid of it again. This means we will get another FGL Nelly collab in a few years mark my words. 

HM. Royals - Lorde
Of the four Lorde songs I've heard, this is easily my least favorite, but this is still a bop. 

HM. Just Give Me A Reason - P!nk, Nate Ruess
This was probably the final cut from my top 20 and it was a painful one because this is a beautiful duet between two great singers who have a lot of chemistry and it's also very well written. 
HM. Mirrors - Justin Timberlake
This is a song I respect more than I love but I respect it so much I couldn't not give it a mention. 
HM. Can't Hold Us - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Ray Dalton
What I said about Mirrors but also add the fact that the version of the song in the music video is WAY better than the album version that's available on Spotify. That version is honestly not that good, but yeah THIS version specifically is pretty damn good. 

HM. Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Just because I prefer their other hit from 2013 by a lot, doesn't mean I don't really like Radioactive, as it's a pretty damn good rock song, although not one of my absolute favorites on Night Visions which I stand by being a great album even if their output since hasn't been anywhere near as good usually. 

Thanks for reading! Urtar Reviews signing out! I'll see you next time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Crownnote Year End With No Christmas Songs

My Top 20 Favorite Hit Songs of 2023 Part 2 (10-1)

My Top 10 Least Favorite Hit Songs of 2020